This article will guide you through the Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer AF error code and the appropriate solution.
If you are struggling to eliminate or fix errors associated with AF code, this article is for you.
Whirlpool is one of the most popular home appliance manufacturers in the market right now.
In the past, they have introduced various models of dryers, including Cabrio.
Though, Whirlpool has introduced us to many new models in the present day.
But Cabrio has remained the favourite choice of many users.
The best part about this model is that it has a very simple design and is very easy to troubleshoot problems or issues inside the dryer.
Today in this article we will discuss DIY solutions to fix the Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer AF code. Therefore, I suggest you stay with us till the end of the article.
Why is Whirlpool Dryer showing AF error code?
Whirlpool Dryer AF error code stands for Restricted Air Flow. If there is any dirt inside the house vent or on the lint screen.
You are likely to get an AF error code in your Whirlpool Dryer. Similarly, a crushed or kink vent can trigger an AF error code in the dryer.
In the dryer, the house vent is located inside the rear wall. Over time dirt and obstruction can build up around the surface of the house vent.
Most people clean the inner of the dryer and skip cleaning the dryer vent.
Later, this can trigger an AF error code in the dryer. It is recommended to clean both the inner and outside of the dryer from time to time.
How to fix the Whirlpool Dryer AF code?
The Whirlpool Dryer AF code is associated with the issues on the dryer vent. To solve this issue, inspect the dryer house vent for obstruction or dirt.
If you notice any obstruction or kink in the duct, you should fix it. Here we have listed some issues and their solution that I recommend you go through.
1. Clogged vent: In the dryer vent is responsible for exhausting hot air inside the dryer. Similarly, the vent also prevents lint buildup inside the dryer.
If the vent is clogged, it can overheat the dryer and can cause a fire inside the dryer.
Therefore, the Whirlpool dryer alerts you using the error code before this happens. Most Whirlpool Dryer Clogged vent issues are indicated using the error code AF.
Solution: If your dryer vent is clogged, consider cleaning the vent. A dryer vent is simple and easy to clean, but most people skip it, which triggers the AF error code in most dryers.
If you don’t know how to clean the Whirlpool Dryer vent, follow the below steps:
- First, gather all the necessary tools required to clean the vent. You will need Vaccum, duct tape, broom, Dustpan, Screwdriver and dryer duct cleaning kit. If you have these tools, you are good to go.
- Now in the second step, turn off the power supply of the dryer. This will prevent you from getting an electric shock during the cleaning process.
- Using soft clothes, wipe the residue off the dryer drum.
- Pull the dryer a little closer towards you, and from the back of the dryer, disconnect the dryer duct. Also, remove the clamp and detach the vent from the dryer.
- Now, suction all the vent entrances using a vacuum and hose attachment.
- Inspect the exterior vent for clogged buildup. Generally, the exterior vent is located outside of your home. Remove the vent cover and clean the dirt using the vacuum and brush.
- Reinstall the vent and make sure to secure the duct using the clamp.
- Now restart the empty cycle on the dryer and see if the error code persists or not.
This is how you should clean the dryer vent. It is recommended to clean the dryer vent at least once a month.
If you have any problem following the above solution, write it down in the comment.
2. Dryer vent is crushed or kinked: If you have cleaned the dryer and the error code persists. A kinked or crushed vent is very likely to trigger an AF error code in the Whirlpool dryer.
Besides this, clothes will also dry slowly if the vent is kinked or crushed. The dryer vent is located at the back of the dryer.
If there are too many bends or kinks it can block airflow inside and outside of the dryer. This can prevent the machine from running properly.
Solution: If your dryer vent is kinked, you will need to untwist it. Similarly, you should replace your existing vent with a new one if it is crushed or damaged.
If you don’t know or haven’t straightened the dryer vent, you could worsen the issues.
Often dryer vents are very hard to straighten, and you will need an expert’s help in most cases.
If you have someone in contact or technicians nearby, I suggest you contact them.
3. Broken door seal: In the dryer door, a seal or gasket creates an airtight seal and prevents outside air from entering the dryer.
Therefore, it is extremely important for the door seal to remain intact. If the above-discussed troubleshooting tips fail to eliminate the AF error code from your dryer,
there must be a problem with the door seal.
Solution: If there is any crack or tear, you should replace your existing door seal. To inspect the dryer door first, you should remove the door from the dryer.
This will make it easy for you to inspect crack or seal damage. If you don’t know how to replace the dryer door seal, follow the below instruction.
The step to replace the dryer door seal can vary from the model. In this article, we are going to use (Whirlpool W10861521) model.
- Before you start, make sure you have a new door seal and the Philips head screwdriver.
- Once you gather all the necessary tools, turn off the power supply of the dryer.
- Open the dryer door and remove the screws securing the door hinge.
- Lift the door and pull it from the dryer.
- Now you can easily see the gasket in the dryer door. The door gasket in this model dryer is glued to the inner door panel. Therefore, we will use needle nose pliers to remove the gasket from the dryer door.
- Now clean the dryer door using a brush and ensure no thread or dirt is left behind.
- Before we install the gasket, I recommend you apply high temp proper adhesive in the gasket channel. The glue tends to be tacky, so be gentle while applying.
- If you are done applying adhesive, place the gasket into the channel. Wait a couple of minutes until the glue is completely dry.
- Now align the hinges on key holes slots and install the screw. Secure the screw using the Philips head screwdriver.
This is how you can replace the damaged door gasket of the Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer. I hope that the instruction helped you to replace the dryer gasket.
4. Clean the lint screen: Whirlpool Cabrio dryer AF code is also triggered due to a lint buildup on the lint screen.
The dryer is equipped with a lint screen that helps you remove the lint and other tiny debris from the clothes left behind.
It is very common for clothes to develop lint over time it can even become stiff and discoloured. Therefore, a lint screen helps you to keep clothes in good condition.
The lint buildup in the lint screen can delay clothes drying time.
Solution: If you’ve noticed lint buildup in the lint screen or clothes are drying slowly. I recommend you inspect the lint screen on your dryer.
Here is the instruction to clean the lint screen of the Whirlpool Cabrio dryer.
- For safety reasons, we recommend you turn off the dryer power supply.
- Remove the lint screen from the dryer.
- Now by using a soft brush, gently brush off the lint from the screen. I also recommend rinsing it with warm water; this will remove stubborn dirt from the lint screen.
- Install the lint screen on the dryer and reset the dryer. Restart the dryer and see if the Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer AF code persists.
A clean dryer maintains its efficiency of the dryer in the long run. Therefore, it is recommended to clean the lint screen at least once a month.
5.Faulty Control panel: Sometimes the control board failure can also triggers AF error code in the Whirlpool Cabrio dryer.
Even if there is no air flow issues faulty control board can automatically triggers AF error code in the dryer.
Control board is the heart of dryer it is where all the processing and input is done. Therefore, once I suggest you to inspect the dryer of the control board is functioning properly or not.
Solution: If your control board is faulty or not working properly you should contact appliances technicians.
Unlike other parts control board is one of the complex parts of the dryer. If you have basic or no knowledge about the control panel I suggest you to contact your supplier or technicians.
What to do if the Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer AF code persists?
If you are unable to troubleshoot the Whirlpool Cabrio dryer AF code, you should consult with your supplier.
Or, you can contact Whirlpool customer support; they can guide you to fix this error code from the dryer.
If this does not work, you should troubleshoot your dryer with technicians. Contact your nearest repair store or technicians and fix this error code from your dryer.
- Why My Whirlpool Dryer Not Heating Up [Solution]
- How to Fix F3E2 Whirlpool Dryer Code [In 2 Minutes]
- How to Fix Whirlpool Dryer F70 Error Code [Sloved]
- 12 Reasons Why Whirlpool Dryer Won’t Start [Solved]
As there is a saying, “Prevention is better than cure” similarly, I suggest you clean your dryer from time to time.
This will keep up the dryer’s performance and prevent your dryer from throwing any kind of error code.
In this article, we’ve discussed the Whirlpool Cabrio dryer AF code, along with the solution.
I hope the article was helpful for you and has helped you eliminate the AF error code from your dryer.
Besides this, if there is anything that we can help you with, please let us know in the comment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to prevent AF error code in Whirlpool Cabrio dryer?
If your dryer throws error codes a lot, then you must be using it inappropriately. Error code indicates a problem inside the dryer. If your dryer is showing AF, it means that the dryer vent is clogged, kinked or damaged. To prevent an AF error code dryer vent should be cleaned from time to time.
What to do if the Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer gasket is damaged?
A damaged gasket can cause a lot of problems in the dryer. Over time gasket gets exposed to water, moisture and dust, which can damage the gasket of the dryer. If your dryer gasket is damaged, make sure to replace them as soon as possible. The gasket helps you create an airtight seal inside the dryer. A dryer door seal keeps dry air inside and prevents outside air from entering the dryer.
Can you troubleshoot the Whirlpool Cabrio dryer error code on your own?
Whirlpool Cabrio dryer has a simple design, and it is very easy to troubleshoot any issues associated with the dryer. Unlike other electronic devices, the Whirlpool dryer has an advanced error detection system that automatically detects the problem and issues inside the dryer and alerts you using the error code. There are various error codes; you can find the meaning of these codes in the dryer user manual.
How do you reset the whirlpool Cabrio dryer?
If your dryer is not working smoothly, you can reset the dryer and fix the problem. To reset the Whirlpool dryer, I suggest you locate the start button on the control panel. Once you locate the start button, press and hold it for a couple of seconds. After this, your dryer will automatically reset. The process can take up to 3 minutes to fully reset the dryer.