Is your dishwasher struggling to start or stopped working? If your answer is yes, you are not the only one having this issue in the dishwasher.
Maytag dishwasher is one of the popular home appliance brands in the market. They are mainly known for manufacturing advanced and durable dishwashers.
Despite these facts, sometimes their dishwasher stops working in the middle of nowhere.
If your Maytag dishwasher is struggling to start, then you’ve come to the right place. This article discusses various reasons why the Maytag dishwasher won’t start.
In addition, we will also discuss the solution that will help you fix this problem with the dishwasher.
Reason for the Maytag dishwasher not starting?
If your Maytag dishwasher won’t start or doesn’t start the cycle, then technical issues are to blame for this problem.
Whenever your dishwasher experiences technical failure, it will indicate this failure through the error code.
This makes it very easy to locate and fix the issue from the dishwasher.
However, if the dishwasher is not starting, it becomes very hard to figure out the issue in the dishwasher.
The dishwasher has an advanced working mechanism, which makes it difficult to detect and fix the problem inside the dishwasher.
However, with the right guidance and tools, you can easily fix your Maytag dishwasher and won’t start the issue.
How to fix this issue?
To fix the Maytag dishwasher won’t start the issue; first of all, you just need to identify the problem stopping your dishwasher from starting.
As mentioned earlier, there are various reasons that can stop the dishwasher from running cycle or starting.
In this section, we will look into various reasons and their solution which will help you fix the Maytag dishwasher won’t start issue in your dishwasher.
1. The dishwasher is not getting power
Power issues are one of the most likely issues that can stop the dishwasher from starting.
If your Maytag dishwasher is not receiving a stable power supply, it is the reason behind the issues. ”
Make a thorough inspection of the dishwasher power cord and power switch. Ensure that dishwasher is properly receiving power from the source to the dishwasher.
If your dishwasher is not receiving power, here are some things that I recommend you inspect in your dishwasher.
- First, ensure that you have properly plugged the cord into the power switch. Verify that the switch is in the on position.
- If you are using an extension cord, ensure that both the cords are connected well. Replace the extension cord if it is torn or cut off.
- Check the dishwasher circuit breaker and turn it on if you have mistakenly turned it off.
- Check the thermal fuse and replace it if it is blown.
These are some of the things that you can check to ensure if there are power-related issues. If there is no such issue in the dishwasher, I recommend you check the next issue.
2. Faulty door latch
If the dishwasher is receiving power, but the cycle is not starting, there must be a problem with the dishwasher door latch.
First, make sure that the dishwasher door is fully closed and that there is no obstruction stopping the dishwasher door from closing.
The dishwasher door latch ensures that the door is closed or open during the cycle.
In addition, it is equipped with special types of sensors that detect if the door is opened or closed.
The door latch is located at the upper part of the dishwasher and connected to the control panel compartment.
As you know, what the door latch does in the dishwasher? I recommend you check the door latch and ensure that the door latch does not have any issues.
If you don’t know how to check the dishwasher door latch, follow the below step-wise instruction.
- First, remove the power cord from the switch and Turn off the dishwasher.
- Turn off the water inlet valve and make sure that the dishwasher is empty and there are no dishes inside.
- Open the dishwasher door and then access the control panel compartment. You may need to unthread a few screws to access the control access panel of your dishwasher.
- Once you remove the control access panel of your dishwasher, locate the dishwasher door latch.
- Turn on the dishwasher power supply and manually press the latch switch. Select the cycle and see if the dishwasher starts the cycle or not. If the dishwasher starts the cycle as per the instruction, there is no issue with the door latch.
- If the cycle does not start, change the dishwasher door latch. Unthread the screw securing the door latch and disconnect the wire from the latch.
- Connect the wire to the new latch and secure the latch with a screw. Make sure to secure the latch in the dishwasher tightly.
This is how you can test the dishwasher on your door latch and replace it if it is faulty. Check the next issue if this does not help you start the dishwasher.
3. Water supply issues
Water is very much necessary for the dishwasher to start a cycle. Without water, you cannot start the cycle in your dishwasher.
If your dishwasher is not starting, check the water level in your dishwasher. The dishwasher has a built-in tank that loads and circulates water during the cycle.
I recommend you check the dishwasher’s water inlet valve and ensure that the valve is fully opened.
The dishwasher won’t start the cycle if there is no water pressure or flow from the supply line. If the water is slowly filling or loading water check the water pressure on the supply line.
Here are some things I recommend to fix the water supply issue in your dishwasher.
- Open the water inlet valve and check if there is a presence of minerals build-up or any kind of obstruction. Remove the obstruction if present.
- Check water pressure on the supply line. If the water pressure is low, contact the plumber regarding the issues.
- Make sure that the inlet pipe is not kinked, as this can reduce the flow of water and pressure.
- Check the water pressure of your dishwasher and ensure that the pressure is set at the recommended level.
These are some of the things that you can do to fix water-related issues in the dishwasher.
4. Faulty circulation pump
If the dishwasher circulation pump is defective, chances are high that you cannot start the cycle in your dishwasher.
The circulation pump circulates water in various components of the dishwasher. It is located at the bottom of the dishwasher.
You will notice a weird or humming sound if your dishwasher circulation pump is defective.
This indicates that the motor is defective or the motor has been seized.
Repair the motor as soon as possible a faulty circulation pump can cause issues of heating which can later cause fire hazards inside the dishwasher.
To test whether the motor is working properly, you will need to access the bottom access panel of your dishwasher.
You can follow the below step-wise instruction to check if the dishwasher circulation pump is working correctly or not. Before you start, make sure you have screwdrivers and a multimeter.
- First, turn off the dishwasher power supply and the water inlet valve.
- Now remove the dishwasher from the cabinet. You will need to unthread the screw to remove the dishwasher from the kitchen cabinet.
- After removing the dishwasher, lay the dishwasher on the floor. Put the cotton clothes beneath the dishwasher. This will prevent scratches on the dishwasher.
- Unthread the screw during the bottom access panel of your dishwasher.
- Disconnect the wire connected to the dishwasher motor and unthread the screw. If you are having difficulty accessing the motor, I recommend you refer to your dishwasher’s owner manual. You will find instructions to access the dishwasher motor. If you don’t have the owner manual, you can find it on the Maytag official website.
- After removing the motor, clean the motor properly to ensure that there is no obstruction in the impeller. You can consider disinfectant to clean the dishwasher motor effectively.
- Take the Multimeter probes and touch the wire terminal of the motor. The Multimeter will give 30 to 40 ohms resistance if the motor is good. If the Multimeter is showing resistance below, the motor is bad.
This is how you can test the motor in your dishwasher. If the motor is faulty, consult with your supplier or technicians and replace it.
5. Defective timer
You can set the timer in your dishwasher to start the cycle at a specific time. The dishwasher has different cycle types, and you can set the timing for each cycle.
You cannot start another unless the one cycle is completed. A timer is responsible is controlling various components, including the power of your dishwasher.
If you wrongly set the timer in your dishwasher, I recommend you reset your dishwasher.
To reset the Maytag dishwasher, press the power button and turn off the dishwasher for 10-15 minutes.
After 10-15 minutes, press the power button and try to start the empty cycle in your dishwasher.
What to do if the problem persists?
If the above-discussed solution didn’t help you fix the problem in your dishwasher. You should contact your supplier or appliance technicians.
They have proper knowledge about dishwashers and tools through which they can help you fix the problem with your dishwasher.
Similarly, if you have warranty support, you can repair your dishwasher free of cost.
You don’t need to pay money to replace and repair dishwasher parts. To know more about warranty support, check your warranty card when buying a dishwasher.
May Required in Future:-
The dishwasher not starting issue is not a big issue to worry about.
With the right guidance and knowledge, you can easily deal with this problem in your dishwasher.
In this article, we have guided you to figure out the problem and solution to fix the Maytag dishwasher won’t start.
I hope the article was helpful for you, and I expect you’ve fixed this issue with your dishwasher.
If the error persists, I recommend you contact dishwasher technicians.
Apart from this, if you have any problems related to the dishwasher or questions, feel free to express your problem below in the comment.
Frequently Asked Question
Why my Maytag dishwasher is slowly draining?
A clogged drain hose is one of the major reasons behind the slow draining in the dishwasher. If your dishwasher is not draining like usual, I recommend you clean the dishwasher drain hose. Most users don’t consider cleaning the drain hose, which increases the chance of food build inside the pipe. Consider cleaning the dishwasher garbage disposal if this does not fix the issue.
How do eliminate error codes in the dishwasher?
Error code indicates a problem or issues inside the dishwasher. Whenever your dishwasher displays error codes, there must be some problem lying inside your dishwasher. Check the dishwasher owner manual there; you will find information about error codes and solutions to eliminate from your dishwasher. You can also check the manufacturer’s official website to know more about the error code.
Why is the cycle not starting in my dishwasher?
If the cycle is not starting in your dishwasher, check your dishwasher door latch. The door latch is equipped with a special type of sensor that won’t let you start a cycle with the door opened. Make sure that the door latch is working fine and tightly secured in the dishwasher door panel. There should not be any obstruction around the door; remove the obstruction if present.
How to reset the Maytag dishwasher?
Resetting the Maytag dishwasher is not that difficult. All you need to do is power off the dishwasher for 10 to 15 minutes. During this time, your dishwasher will reset all the past configurations from your dishwasher. When you start the dishwasher after 10 to 15 minutes dishwasher will run on new settings and eliminate all the errors present in the dishwasher.