Kitchenaid is a renowned dishwasher brand known for manufacturing various types of advanced dishwashers on the market.
The company has been manufacturing dishwashers for a very long time.
There is no doubt regarding the quality and performance they manufacture durable yet powerful dishwashers compared to their other counterparts.
However, their dishwasher still encounters leakage, draining, and other issues.
If your Kitchenaid dishwasher is leaking, don’t worry; today, in this article, we will discuss the problem and the solution which causes leakage in the Kitchenaid dishwasher.
I recommend you stay with us till the end of the article, which will help you better know about the problem inside your dishwasher.
Why my Kitchenaid dishwasher is leaking?
There are various problems that cause leakage in the Kitchenaid dishwasher. Some of them include a faulty water inlet valve, a level dishwasher, a loose door latch, and clogged spray arms. If your dishwasher has any of these problems, you are likely to get a leakage issue in your dishwasher.
However, in most cases, we have found that a faulty water inlet valve causes leakage in the KitchenAid dishwasher.
Therefore, I recommend you properly inspect your inlet valve and ensure it is not stuck in the open position or clogged.
Another probable reason for the Kitchenaid dishwasher to leak is a damaged seal or gasket.
How to find and fix leakage issues in the Kitchenaid dishwasher?
This section will look into potential problems that can cause leakage in your Kitchenaid dishwasher. Here we are going to discuss six major problems along with step-wise instruction.
Faulty water inlet valve
The dishwasher requires water to start the cycle; you can’t start the wash cycle on your dishwasher without any water.
A water inlet valve in your dishwasher helps you load water onto the dishwasher tanks. In addition, it controls the water supply of your dishwasher.
Once the dishwasher has enough water to run the cycle, the valve will automatically shut and stops loading water.
The water inlet valve is located at the bottom of your dishwasher.
You are noticing water leakage underneath the dishwasher, possibly due to a faulty water inlet valve. The part is hidden behind the toe panel; you need to remove the panel to inspect the valve.
If your dishwasher inlet valve is broken or damaged, water will flow underneath the dishwasher.
Similarly, if the valve is stuck in an open position, it can be possible due to overflow.
To fix this issue, you must replace the dishwasher’s entire valve. Follow the below step-wise instruction to replace the inlet valve.
- First, Shut off the dishwasher power supply and also make sure to turn off the water supply.
- Using a screwdriver, remove the screw securing the toe panel on your dishwasher.
- If you are able to locate the valve, disconnect it from the dishwasher motor. In some models, you are required to unthread the screw to remove the valve from your dishwasher.
- Once you remove the faulty inlet valve, install the new water inlet valve using the same process we discussed above.
- Install the toe panel, Turn on the water and power supply and start a new cycle to see if the problem persists.
Damaged door gasket
The dishwasher loads and unloads water around the various parts. There’s no doubt it contains a number of gaskets or seals around the parts or components.
A dishwasher gasket or seal creates a water-tight seal on the dishwasher component and prevents water from leaking. It is made of rubber and can easily lose shape and size over time.
In our context, if the dishwasher is leaking underneath the dishwasher. It could be possible due to a damaged or torn-up drain compartment gasket.
The dishwasher drain compartment is secured with a tight gasket, preventing water from leaking at the bottom. If water leaks from the door, you should replace the dishwasher door gasket.
A ripped, torn, and worn-out gasket cannot be repaired; you need to replace it from the dishwasher.
There is no way once can repair and use again in the dishwasher. Follow the below step-wise instruction to replace the dishwasher door gasket.
- Shut down the power and water supply of your dishwasher.
- Open the door and remove all the dish racks from your dishwasher. This will give you space and makes it very easy to do our task.
- Find the bottom part of the dishwasher gasket and gently pull it out with your finger until you reach to next end.
- Once you remove the gasket, clean that area using a brush and ensure there is no dust or food particles around.
- Following the same process, install the gasket on the door and ensure it fits perfectly around it.
Broken drain hose
The drain hose is located at the bottom of the dishwasher. It is connected to the dishwasher drain pump and pumps out water after the cycle.
If the water is leaking at the bottom of the dishwasher, it could probably be due to a broken or kinked drain hose.
Over time drain hose gets washed by water and tiny food particles which can build up food clogged.
This can increase pressure on the drain pump and create leakage in your dishwasher. The leak from the drain hose can be easily repaired and fixed.
The broken drain hose cannot be repaired, but you can replace it with a new one.
The solution to the broken drain hose is the replacement. If you don’t know how to replace the drain hose in the Kitchenaid dishwasher, follow the below instruction.
- Remove the power cord from the source and remove the drain hose connected to the garbage disposal. Once you do this, shut off the water supply on your dishwasher.
- Now unthread the screw securing onto the kitchen cabinet.
- Once you unthread all the screws from the dishwasher now, pull the dishwasher and lay it on the floor. Make sure to keep some soft clothes underneath the dishwasher. It will help you prevent your dishwasher from getting scratches on the dishwasher’s surface.
- Unthread the screw securing the bottom access panel of the dishwasher and remove the panel.
- Now locate the drain hose and inspect if the drain hose is broken or not.
- If there is no sign that the drain hose is broken, I recommend checking if it is tightly secure on the drain pump. It is secured using a metal clamp which can loosen and tight using a screwdriver.
- If the clamp is eroded or replace it with a new one.
Faulty Driver motor
The dishwasher is equipped with special types of motor that direct the water into spray arms and other various dishwasher components.
It is mainly located at the bottom of the dishwasher and secured with rubber around it. The seal size is so small that you can probably fit your finger.
When this rubber is worn out or torn up, it will leak water at the bottom of the dishwasher.
Therefore, I recommend you inspect the driver’s motor properly and ensure the seal is in good condition.
If you have inspected the seal and it is worn out, consider replacing it with a new one.
You can easily get one from your nearest supermarket or online store.
If you don’t know how to replace the seal, follow the below instruction.
- First of all, turn off the power supply on the dishwasher.
- Now open the dishwasher door and remove all the dish racks from the dishwasher.
- Remove the diverter tube assembly, located just beside your Kitchenaid dishwasher’s drain compartment.
- Once you remove the assembly, open the diverter cap and find the seal there.
- In most of the models seal is wrapped with plastic. Remove the plastic, then remove the old seal.
- Before installing a new seal, make sure you are installing it in the right direction. The seal has two sides, one flat and another normal.
- Install the seal, putting the flat side down.
Stuck or clogged spray arms
During the wash cycle, water is forced through the spray arms at high pressure, which helps you clean dishes in the dishwasher.
Some dishwasher has only lower spray arms that spill water during the wash cycle.
Similarly, some dishwasher comes with middle and upper spray arms.
The spray arms function well when it is not clogged. When it is clogged, it disperses water evenly and causes water to leak from the door and the bottom of the dishwasher.
Spray arms mainly build up food and minerals clogged. You can easily clean them with the help of a brush. Similarly, if the spray arm is broken, you should replace it with a new spray arm. Here is the step-wise instruction to clean spray arms:
- Turn off dishwasher power and water supply.
- Open the door and remove all the dish racks from the dishwasher.
- Now thread the screw holding spray arms. If there is no screw to unthread, you will need to clean it without removing it.
- Fill a buck with hot water and add soap and a cup of vinegar onto it.
- Pour the spray arms into the bucket of water. Soak the spray arms under the water for around 30 minutes, and thoroughly clean the area that spills water by using a brush. Make sure there is no remaining food and minerals buildup.
What to do if a leak persists in your dishwasher?
If you are unable to find or fix the Kitchenaid dishwasher leaking, don’t worry.
In this situation, I recommend everyone to contact their supplier or appliance technicians. They will help you with what to do with your leakage dishwasher and how to get rid of it.
Similarly, if your warranty support period is not over, I recommend contacting the Kitchenaid customer support center.
They can help you repair your Kitchenaid dishwasher free of cost. You can check the warranty card to know more about the warranty time and your supplier.
May Required in Future:
In this article, we discuss different ways to find and fix Kitchenaid dishwasher leaking.
I hope that you were able to figure out the problem causing leakage after reading this article.
Dishwasher leak is a common issue that is found in every dishwasher.
If the above-discussed solution didn’t help you fix leakage in your dishwasher, you could contact dishwasher technicians to fix the issue from the dishwasher.
Furthermore, if you have any queries about the dishwasher, feel free to leave your query below in the comment.
Frequently Asked Question
How do I fix a dishwasher that leaks?
To fix the leakage issue, first, you need to find the problem causing leakage in the dishwasher. Once you identify that issue, you can easily work on that and fix the leakage issue from the dishwasher. In most cases, leakage is caused mainly due to faulty door latch and clogged spray arms. Make sure that your dishwasher door latch is smoothly functioning and that there is no clogging in the spray arms.
Can the plumber fix the leaking dishwasher?
The plumber has expertise in working pipe and water-related stuff. They have very knowledge about the dishwasher and its working. Therefore, it is recommended to contact Appliance repair technicians or dishwasher technicians in particular. If the leakage issue is associated with plumbing, you can consult a plumber to fix the leakage in your dishwasher.
Why is the KitchenAid dishwasher not starting the cycle?
There are moments when the Kitchenaid dishwasher can’t start the cycle, and you don’t know what is happening behind it. If your dishwasher cannot start the cycle, I recommend you check if you have mistakenly turned on child mode or set a timer before you start the new cycle.
Does clogged filter cause leaks in the Kitchenaid dishwasher?
When the dishwasher is clogged, water cannot be drained from the dishwasher. If the water is not draining from the dishwasher, it can cause excess water at the bottom of the dishwasher. The excess water can make out their way outside the dishwasher from other places causing leakage in the dishwasher.