Leaks are very common in a dishwasher, but it is an issue if it is regular and too much.
Kenmore is a popular and renowned brand known for manufacturing a wide range of electronic and kitchen appliances.
However, the problem with Kenmore dishwashers is they are very advanced that it becomes very hard to figure out issues and problems inside the dishwasher.
If you are using a Kenmore dishwasher, I am sure you must have faced this problem in the dishwasher.
Coming straight to the point, if your Kenmore dishwasher is leaking, it must be hard for you to figure out the issues causing the leaking in your dishwasher.
Therefore, in this blog post, you will know the reason and the solution that causes leakage in your Kenmore dishwasher.
Why does the Kenmore dishwasher leaking?
There is no specific answer or reason for leaks in the dishwasher. As dishwasher is electronic equipment, various issues can cause leakage in the dishwasher.
However, it is not that difficult to fix once you identify the reason behind the leakage. One of the most common reasons behind dishwasher leaks is overflooding.
In most cases, I’ve seen flooding as the main reason behind water leaks in Kenmore dishwashers.
Besides this, there are various other reasons that also cause leaks in dishwashers, including broken or loosely connected drain hose, faulty door latch and many more.
Here we will look into all these reasons and discuss the solution in detail.
How to find and fix the Kenmore dishwasher Leaking?
In this section, we will closely examine all the possible reasons that can cause leaks in the Kenmore dishwasher. Here is the list of reason that causes leakage in your Kenmore dishwasher.
Dishwasher is flooding
As mentioned earlier, flooding is one of the most common reasons behind dishwasher leaks.
To start the wash cycle dishwasher, first load water into the dish tank; once the tank reaches a certain level, the wash cycle will start on the dishwasher.
To prevent the overflowing of water dishwasher is equipped with a special type of switch called a Float Switch.
The float switch is located at the toe panel of the dishwasher. When the water reaches a certain level float switch shuts off the loading process.
If the float switch is damaged, it can cause the dishwasher to overflow and leak at the end.
To check whether the dishwasher float switch is working or not, first, you must locate the float switch in your dishwasher.
Depending upon the model float switch is located at different parts of the dishwasher.
If you are a beginner and don’t have any idea about the dishwasher. Follow the below step-wise instruction.
- Before you start, ensure you have turned off the power supply of the dishwasher.
- Using a Phillips head screwdriver, unthread the screw securing the lower access panel of your Kenmore dishwasher.
- Set the panel aside and locate the float switch.
- Using a flat head screwdriver, detach the float switch actuator from the switch.
- Unthread the mounting screw and detach the wire to remove the switch from the dishwasher.
- Touch the probes into the float switch wire terminal. The multimeter should read zero when the float hangs into the down position. If the multimeter shows a positive reading, your float switch must malfunction.
- To replace the float switch, all you need to do is connect the wire to the switch.
- Mount the switch into the dishwasher and reinstall all the components you’ve removed while testing the switch.
- Now run the normal cycle in your dishwasher and see if the dishwasher is leaking again or not.
Damaged or loose door latch
Check the dishwasher door latch and ensure that it is not loose or damaged.
The dishwasher door latch helps you to create an airtight seal inside the dishwasher. When the door latch is loose or not working, you must replace your door latch.
A door latch is another common reason behind dishwasher leaks.
Water can easily pass from door frames when the door latch becomes loose. The dishwasher door latch is located at the top of the dishwasher door.
If your door latch is loose, I recommend you tightly secure it with a screwdriver.
If water is leaking from the door, you should thoroughly inspect the dishwasher door gasket and door latch.
Similarly, if the door latch is damaged or broken, replace the latch. If you don’t know the process of replacing the latch, follow the below step-wise instruction.
- First of all, turn off the power supply of your dishwasher and also make sure to turn off the water supply.
- The door latch is located in the control panel compartment. Open your dishwasher’s door and unthread the screw securing the control panel.
- Once you remove the control access panel, it locates the dishwasher door latch.
- Now using a T-Shaped screwdriver, unthread the mounting screw of the door latch.
- After removing the mounting screw, disconnect the wire from the latch and remove it from the dishwasher.
- Connect the wire to the appropriate terminal and secure it with a mounting screw.
- Install the control access panel screw and all the mounting screws you’ve removed during the process. After this, check the dishwasher and see if the problem persists or not.
The door gasket is another important component of the dishwasher. In the dishwasher, you will find a door gasket in various components of the dishwasher.
The main purpose of the door gasket is to create a water-tight seal inside the dishwasher and to prevent leaks.
Over time dishwasher gasket gets worn out and also loses its shape.
In this situation, you should replace your gasket; else, you will face leakage in your dishwasher.
Depending upon the model, there are two main gaskets in the dishwasher.
The first gasket you will see in the dishwasher door and the second one in the drain compartment.
If your door gasket is damaged or worn out, consider replacing them.
In some cases, we have found that a worn-out gasket is a reason for dishwasher leaks.
If your dishwasher door gasket is damaged, follow the below instruction to replace it:
- Turn off the dishwasher power supply.
- Open the dishwasher door and remove all the dish racks from the dishwasher. This will give you space while replacing the gasket.
- Now locate the gasket bottom part and gently pull it out from the dishwasher. Before removing the gasket, take a note of how the gasket is installed in the door.
- After removing the gasket, clean all the dirt particles present around the door.
- Install a new gasket and ensure you’ve installed it in the right direction.
It might take a couple of days for the gasket to fit correctly into its position. However, it creates an airtight seal when you closed the door and should prevent water leaks from the dishwasher.
Leaking drain pump or hose
If you are noticing a water leak at the bottom of the dishwasher, it could be possibly due to a faulty drain pump.
A drain pump helps you pump out all the used water from the dishwasher.
It is located at the bottom of the dishwasher; you will hear a weird sound when the drain pumps malfunction.
In most models, the pump is divided into two compartments drain and a circulation compartment.
If your drain pump is malfunctioning, don’t worry. The drain pump consists of three main parts: seals and impeller.
If any of these components is damaged, you will encounter leaks in the dishwasher.
In most cases replacing seals and impeller fix the issues with the dishwasher. Follow the below step-wise instruction to replace drain seals and impeller from your Kenmore dishwasher.
- Turn off dishwasher power and water supply coming into the dishwasher. I also recommend you remove the drain hose connected to the garbage disposal.
- Unthread the screw securing the dishwasher into the kitchen compartment.
- Lay the dishwasher on the floor and remove the lower bottom access panel.
- Now locate the drain pump. Unthread the screw of the drain pump, and you will get access to the drain pump assembly. Now rotate the impeller and see if it is rotating or not. Also, inspect the seal and see if it is in good condition.
- If the drain impeller and seals are damaged, replace them with your dishwasher.
The process of replacing drain seals and impellers may differ from the dishwasher model.
It is difficult to replace the drain impeller and seals from the drain pump. Therefore, I recommend you to contact dishwasher technicians for replacement.
In the dishwasher, you should always use a detergent designed for dishwashers only.
There are different kinds of dishwashers in the market. But, you should always use one that your manufacturer or supplier recommends.
When you use ordinary detergent, it produces more suds in the dishwasher.
More suds means it can create problems during the draining process.
To know more about the detergent, check the dishwasher owner manual. You will find everything about the detergent you should use in your dishwasher.
What to do if the leak persists?
If you are unable to locate or fix the leakage in the Kenmore dishwasher, I recommend you contact your supplier.
Technical issues are often hard to figure out inside the dishwasher. Leaks are very much common in the old dishwasher.
If your new dishwasher has started leaking, you should contact your supplier about the issues.
Nowadays, most dishwashers come with a warranty support period of a year or more.
You can repair your dishwasher for free if the warranty period is not yet over.
To know more about the warranty period of your dishwasher, check the dishwasher warranty card you got while buying the dishwasher.
Kenmore dishwasher leak is not that difficult to fix if you have the right information and tools to fix them.
Here in this article, we have discussed several reasons likely to cause leakage in Kenmore dishwasher.
I hope you’ve read all the reasons and I assume that it has helped you fix the dishwasher’s leakage.
Contact your dishwasher technicians if the above-discussed solution didn’t help you locate the leakage.
Besides this, if we can help you with anything related to dishwasher issues, write it down in the comment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find the error code on my Kenmore dishwasher?
Error codes are very useful in the dishwasher as it helps us to understand error and issues inside the dishwasher. Depending upon the model, you will find numerous error codes for your dishwasher. If you don’t know much about the error code, check the dishwasher user owner manual. There you will find detailed information about your dishwasher along with other information.
Why is Kenmore dishwasher not starting?
If your dishwasher is struggling to start or not starting, then there must be electrical or power supply issues in your dishwasher. I recommend you to check the dishwasher power cord and ensure that power is properly passing onto the dishwasher. If the power cord is broken or cut off, replace your existing power cord with a new one.
How do you reset the Kenmore dishwasher?
If your dishwasher is unable to start or has some glitches, consider resetting it. When you reset the dishwasher, it will erase all the configurations and setting from memory. To reset the Kenmore dishwasher Turn off the dishwasher power supply for 10-15 minutes and restart it again. If this does not work, you check the user manual to know more about the automatic method to reset the Kenmore dishwasher.
Should you regularly clean your dishwasher?
No, it is not necessary to regularly clean the dishwasher. You should clean your dishwasher at least once a week. This will help you prevent your dishwasher from getting clogged and all kinds of issues. When cleaning your dishwasher, make sure to clean the dishwasher drain compartment, drain hose and garbage disposal.