Is your dishwasher taking a long time to drain? Is there standing water at the bottom of the dishwasher?
A dishwasher with a drain issue increases the chance of water leakage and further damage to dishwasher parts.
If you have not cleaned your dishwasher for a long time, drain issue is common among dishwasher.
GE dishwasher is one of the popular dishwashers that come with powerful motors and many advanced features.
Despite having powerful motors, people still encounter draining issues in the dishwasher. There are various issues that cause draining problems in the dishwasher.
It includes food particles buildup, defective motor, sensor, and other reasons.
Why is the GE dishwasher not draining?
If you are using a GE dishwasher and have encountered with drain issue in the dishwasher, this guide is here to help you.
In most cases, the drain issue is caused by a defective drain pump. A defective pump plays a vital role in draining water.
The drain pump in the dishwasher consists of two compartments. You can find it just behind the lower kick plate/access panel.
If there is no problem with the dishwasher drain pump, then there must be food particles buildup inside the drain filter or drain hose.
Besides, the hard water also causes the problem of clog buildup. The dishwasher needs to be neat and cleaned to perform its task efficiently and smoothly.
Therefore make sure to maintain the cleanliness of your dishwasher.
How to fix the GE dishwasher Not draining issue?
There are a couple of reasons that causes draining issue in the dishwasher. To fix the GE dishwasher drain issue, first, you need to identify the exact reason causing this error in your dishwasher.
After you identify the issue behind the draining problem, you can quickly fix this problem on your dishwasher.
Here are some issues and solutions you check to fix the draining issue in your dishwasher.
Clogged drain filter
The dishwasher drain filter prevents food particles that prevent food particles sticking into dishes during the wash cycle.
Therefore, this filter requires regular cleaning to avoid draining issues in your dishwasher.
Moreover, a clean dishwasher operates very efficiently and smoothly compared to a dishwasher that is not cleaned for a month.
If your drain filter is clogged with food particles, you will notice a standing water problem at the bottom of your dishwasher.
If you have noticed a stinky smell coming from the dishwasher, you should consider cleaning the dishwasher drain filter and hose.
Follow the below step-wise instruction to clean the GE dishwasher drain filter.
- Turn off the dishwasher power supply and remove the water inlet valve from the dishwasher.
- Open the dishwasher door and take out the lower dish rack.
- Now you may need to remove the spray arms attached to the filter compartment. Twist the filter and pull it out from the compartment. In some dishwashers, you may also need to remove the mesh filter along with spray arms.
- Once you remove the spray arms, you will see a cylinder containing debris and food particles.
- Remove the filter from the dishwasher, put it under running water, and thoroughly clean it. You can also soak it under detergent and water solution.
- If there is stubborn food particles buildup around the filter, use a soft-bristled brush and gently rub around the hole. After this, rinse it under the running water.
- Reinstall the drain filter inside the dishwasher and put the lower dish rack.
- Restart the dishwasher and see if the dishwasher is draining correctly or not.
Broken or kinked drain hose
A broken or kinked drain hose also triggers a drain issue in the dishwasher.
The dishwasher drain hose is located at the bottom of the dishwasher, connected to the dishwasher drain compartment and garbage disposal.
If there is any kind of food clog buildup or kink on the pipe, there is a high chance of a draining issue in the dishwasher.
When cleaning a dishwasher, most people clean the dishwasher’s outer surface and drain filter. Most people forget to clean the drain hose of the dishwasher.
Therefore, I recommend you check the dishwasher drain hose and see if there are any kinds of food clog buildup or not.
Dishwasher drain hoses are very hard to access as you need to remove the bottom access panel to clean. In this step-wise guide, we will discuss how to clean or fix a kinked drain hose.
- First, remove the water inlet valve from your dishwasher and the power cord.
- You will also need to remove the drain hose from the garbage disposal.
- If you have kept your dishwasher inside the kitchen cabinet. First, you will need to remove the screw securing the dishwasher inside a kitchen cabinet.
- Once you remove the screw from the dishwasher, pull the dishwasher outside of the cabinet. Lay it on the floor and make sure to put clothes to prevent scratches from happening on the dishwasher surface.
- Now using a screwdriver, remove the bottom access panel of the dishwasher.
- After removing the bottom access panel, locate the drain pump on your dishwasher.
- Using a screwdriver, loosen the clamp and remove the drain hose from the drain pump.
- Pass the water from the drain hose, clean it thoroughly, and ensure no remaining food particles on the pipe.
- Reinstall the drain hose and tightly secure it using the metal clamp. Makes sure that the drain hose is not kinked during this process.
- Install the bottom access panel and reinstall the dishwasher inside the kitchen cabinet.
- Turn on your dishwasher, restart a new cycle, and run an empty one. See if the dishwasher is draining or not.
Defective drain pump
Sometimes defective drain pump can also cause a draining issue in the dishwasher. The dishwasher drain pump pumps water out of the dishwasher after the cycle.
The drain pump is equipped with an impeller that forces water through the drain hose and out of the dishwasher.
When something goes wrong in the dishwasher drain pump, you will face a draining issue in your dishwasher.
If you notice an unusual sound in your dishwasher for a while, then there must be some problem with your drain pump.
The drain pump is located at the bottom of the dishwasher. If you have a multimeter and screwdriver, you can easily remove and check the drain pump from your dishwasher.
If your dishwasher is producing an unusual sound, there must be a problem with your drain pump. In this section, we will discuss step-wise instructions to check the GE dishwasher drain pump.
- Turn off the dishwasher power supply and remove the water inlet valve from the dishwasher.
- Also, remove the garbage disposal pipe from the dishwasher.
- Now remove the dishwasher from the kitchen cabinet. You will need to remove all the screws securing the dishwasher inside the kitchen cabinet.
- Once you’ve removed the dishwasher from the kitchen cabinet, lay it on the floor.
- Now locate the bottom access plate of the dishwasher and again remove all the screws securing the bottom access panel on the dishwasher.
- Pull the plate from the dishwasher, and then you will see a drain pump connected to the drain hose.
- Unplug the harness switch from the drain pump. Using a multimeter, check whether the dishwasher shows a reading of around 200ohms. If the drain pump shows a reading above or below 200 ohms, consider replacing your drain pump.
Have you ever been tempted to try or use ordinary detergent in your dishwasher? It is a bad idea to use ordinary detergent in the GE dishwasher.
You should always use the detergent recommended by your manufacturer. GE dishwasher can handle specific types of detergent in the dishwasher.
Ordinary detergent produces more suds compared to dishwasher detergent. When there are more suds in the dishwasher, it causes a draining issue in the dishwasher.
Similarly, you should not use too much detergent during the wash cycle.
If you have accidentally used the wrong detergent in your GE dishwasher, then don’t worry. Follow the below step-wise instruction to prevent sudsing from your dishwasher.
- Open the dishwasher door and thoroughly clean the soapy tray using a sponge.
- If you’ve cleaned the soapy tray, now run the empty cycle on your dishwasher for 30 minutes. You can add physical detergent without any soap product.
- Once the cycle is end-use, you can start doing dishes without any problem.
Airgap also causes the problem of draining in the dishwasher. Airgap is a common problem in the dishwasher. Sometimes it automatically gets resolved and sometimes you need to deal in particular.
There is a small cylinder at the back of the kitchen sink. This cylinder here is to prevent water siphoning up and downside.
Sometimes this cylinder can build up food particles buildup, which can create an air gap inside the cylinder.
Besides, an air gap can also build up at the bottom of the unit. If there is a clogged dishwasher, it will struggle to drain water from the dishwasher.
What to do if the problem persists?
If the above-discussed solutions didn’t help you fix the draining issue in your GE dishwasher, don’t worry.
Drain issue is a common problem that is seen in every dishwasher. The problem can be easily dealt with if you have the proper tools and knowledge about dishwashers.
I recommend you to contact your dishwasher manufacturer. You can contact them via email, message, or phone call.
All this information is available on the official site of GE dishwasher. They will help you figure out the problem and can suggest a working solution to the problem.
Drain issues can sometimes be frustrating and hard to deal with. The problem is very much common in the dishwasher.
I assume this is not your first time with a drain issue in your dishwasher. The problem recurs when you don’t maintain cleanliness inside the dishwasher.
However, you can quickly fix the draining issue with proper guidance and knowledge about dishwashers.
In this article, we have discussed several reasons and their solution to fix the issue of GE dishwashers not draining in the dishwasher.
I hope that the article was helpful for you while fixing this draining issue on your dishwasher. Besides this, if you have any problem with the dishwasher, leave a comment below.
Frequently Asked Question
How to reset the GE dishwasher?
Like another dishwasher, it is very easy to reset the GE dishwasher. To reset a GE dishwasher first, you need to stop the cycle running on your dishwasher.
Press the start/reset button to cancel the wash cycle, and the start/reset light will flash in your dishwasher.
During this process, the dishwasher will pump out water from the dishwasher. Once the process is completed dishwasher is successfully reset.
Why is there standing water in my GE dishwasher?
When the dishwasher has clogged buildup inside the drain filter or drain hose, you will notice standing water in your dishwasher.
Therefore to prevent this problem, you need to clean the dishwasher drain filter and drain hose timely.
Similarly, if the drain hose is kinked, it can’t pass water onto the garbage disposal.
How to test the dishwasher drain pump?
To test the drain pump, you must first locate it in your dishwasher. The dishwasher drain pump is located at the bottom of the dishwasher and can be accessed by removing the bottom access panel.
Remove the drain hose connected to the drain pump and put your finger inside the drain outlet.
If you are able to feel and rotate the pump freely, there is no problem with the pump.
Similarly, if the impeller is not moving, you will need to clean the drain pump impeller or replace it if it is broken.
How to force the GE dishwasher to drain?
To force the GE dishwasher to drain, first, you need to press and hold the start button for three seconds.
Now listen to the draining sound and wait until you hear the draining sound. Repeat this process unless the water inside the dishwasher is fully drained. If the water is not draining, clean the dishwasher drain hose and drain filter.