The Control panel is the most important part of every dishwasher or electronic appliance. We can say it is the heart of every electronic appliance.
Without a control panel, you cannot modify and run the dishwasher. If your GE dishwasher control panel is not working, it is mainly caused due to power surge or electrical issues.
There are various issues that can stop the functioning of the control panel. If you are using a GE dishwasher and fin that your dishwasher control panel is not working.
You’ve come to the right place today; in this article, we will look into all these issues that stop the control panel from functioning in the GE dishwasher.
Why is the GE dishwasher control panel not working?
Control panel issues are mainly caused due to power surges or damaged thermal switches. Before you begin fixing this issue on your dishwasher, first of all, figure out the problem.
Once you figure out the problem, you can start working on that particular problem and fix the control panel issue on your dishwasher.
Here is the list of problems and solutions most likely to cause an issue in the control panel.
Damaged thermal switch
The dishwasher control panel is one of the most sensitive parts of the dishwasher. A minor electrical surge can create problems in the control panel.
Therefore, to prevent this issue dishwasher is equipped with a safety switch called a thermal switch. This switch is connected to the control board and passes current onto the main panel.
During a power surge and short circuit, this switch shuts power and makes the control panel unresponsive.
It is located beside the control panel you can easily inspect for the problem. All you need to have is a screwdriver and multimeter to check if the switch is functional or not.
If the thermal switch is damaged or blown, you need to replace it to make your control panel functional.
The thermal switch is available in every major electronics shop. If you have already bought a thermal switch but know how to replace don’t worry.
In this section, we will discuss step-by-step instructions to replace the thermal switch from the GE dishwasher.
- Turn off the dishwasher power supply. In addition, also remove the water inlet valve to prevent over flooding of water during the repair.
- Now locate the thermal switch on your dishwasher. It is mainly located just beside the control panel. Similarly, if the control panel on your dishwasher is mounted horizontally, you will find it on the right side of the dishwasher. You may need a screwdriver to access the control board panel.
- Now use a multimeter check to see whether the thermal switch is working. If you have a functional thermal switch, the needle on the multimeter will move. Similarly, the multimeter is not functional if the needle is not moving and is stuck at 0.
- If the thermal switch is faulty, remove the wire connected to the thermal switch. Depending upon the dishwasher model, you may need to remove the screw to access the thermal switch.
- Remove the thermal switch and connect the wire to the new thermal switch. Secure it with a screw if necessary, and secure the access panel with a screwdriver.
- Plug the dishwasher power supply and see if the control panel is functioning.
The above-discussed instruction should work in all the models of GE dishwashers. If you cannot figure it out, I recommend contacting technicians.
Damaged user interface
A faulty user interface can also cause a problem in the dishwasher control panel. The user interface allows us to navigate with the features of a dishwasher.
When the interface is not working, you can’t access any features of the dishwasher.
You will need a screwdriver and multimeter to check whether the user interface is functional. Follow the below step-wise instruction to check if the user interface is functional.
- Remove the lower access panel from the dishwasher and make sure that your dishwasher is receiving power.
- On the right side of the lower access panel, you will see two yellow caps connected with white and black wire.
- Now remove and unthread the screw of the junction box. There you will see two white and black wires connected to the cap. Plug the multimeter jack inside the cap and see if the multimeter shows a reading of 115 to 120.
- Now on the upper side of the kick plate, you will find access to the control panel.
- Remove the screw securing the panel and the wire connected to the panel.
- Gently pull the panel downward, and there you will see five little pins connected to the panel. The panel is connected to the user interface of the dishwasher.
- Using multimeter test second and fifth pin of the panel. The panel should show a reading of 14 volts if it is functional. Similarly, you won’t see any reading if it is faulty.
This is how you can test the user interface of the GE dishwasher. If the multimeter shows no reading, you should replace the user interface to fix the control panel problem.
Child lock mode is on
Sometimes child lock mode can make the control panel unresponsive. There are different modes in the dishwasher that can make our dishwasher unresponsive unless we turn that mode off.
Child lock mode prevents your child from playing with the dishwasher control panel.
Make sure you haven’t activated this mode on your dishwasher. If you don’t know how to deactivate child lock mode in the dishwasher, don’t worry.
You can check the GE dishwasher owner manual there; you will find step-wise instructions to deactivate child lock mode in the GE dishwasher.
To deactivate child lock mode in the GE dishwasher, you must press and hold the lock pad for three seconds. If you have set up password protection, you may require to enter the four-digit passcode.
After this, the lock icon on the control panel will blink, indicating that the mode has been deactivated from the dishwasher.
A faulty touchpad can also stop you from accessing the control panel. Press holding a down key for 5 seconds to check if the touchpad is functional.
If the button is stuck keep pressing it unless it comes out from the hole. The panel will light if there is no issue in the control panel, and if it doesn’t, you should replace the touchpad.
You can contact dishwasher technicians to replace the touchpad.
How to replace the GE dishwasher control panel?
If you are planning to replace your dishwasher, you should have the following tools.
- 1/4 Drill driver or nut driver
- 5/6 Drill or nut driver
- Needle nose pliers
- Channel-lock pliers
- 90” pick
- Flat head screwdrivers
If you already have these tools follow the below step-wise instruction to get started.
Steps to replace the GE dishwasher control panel
- Before we start, make sure to turn off the power to the appliances. This will prevent you from getting an electric shock during the replacement process. In addition, also make sure to shut off the water supply to the appliances.
- Open the dishwasher door and, using pliers, rotate the vent in an anti-clockwise position.
- Pull the vent from the dishwasher.
- Now using the drill driver, unthread the screw securing the lower kickplate of the dishwasher.
- Open the junction box and untwist the nut to disconnect the wire from the junction box.
- Disconnect the drain hose from the garbage disposal and pull the drain hose close to the kitchen compartment.
- Now unthread the mounting screw securing the dishwasher to the kitchen cabinet.
- To move the dishwasher from the cabinet, you will need to adjust the leg of the dishwasher.
- After you lower the dishwasher, gently pull the dishwasher away from the cabinet.
- Now using a screwdriver, remove the screw securing the control panel. You may also require a 90-degree pick to remove the panel from the door.
- Now remove the wire connected to the control panel. Compress the tab on the routing clip; this will loosen the clip securing the wire. Pull the wire from the panel.
- Remove the screw securing the control panel board and pull the board from the dishwasher.
- Install a new control board, secure it with screws, and connect the wire. Follow the same step you followed while removing the board from the dishwasher.
This is how you can replace the GE dishwasher control panel. I hope that the method has worked well in your model.
If you have any problem with the above-discussed step, feel free to share your problem down below in the comment.
GE dishwasher control panels are very complex and hard to replace. You should have proper knowledge of hardware and dishwasher parts.
In addition, you will also require different tools. Therefore, it is better to contact technicians to replace the control panel.
What to do if the problem persists?
Control panel issues are often hard to fix in the dishwasher. In most cases, you have to call dishwasher technicians to fix the issues.
If the above-discussed solution didn’t help you fix the control panel issues. I recommend you contact your supplier or dishwasher technicians as soon as possible.
If the warranty period of the dishwasher is still not over, you can repair the issue free of cost. Else you can contact dishwasher technicians to get the issue fixed.
The Control panel is the most important part of every dishwasher. It is where you control all the settings and configuration of your dishwasher.
In addition, it is the most sensitive part of the dishwasher; a minor issue on the control panel can stop the entire functioning of the dishwasher.
Today in this article, we discuss various issues along with the solution that can stop the functioning of the control panel in the GE dishwasher.
I hope that the article was helpful for you if you have any problems related to the dishwasher. Make sure to write it down under the comment section.
Frequently Asked Question of GE dishwasher control panel not working
Why GE dishwasher is beeping and not starting?
GE dishwasher produces a beeping sound when there is a power surge or some electrical issue in the dishwasher.
If your dishwasher is not starting and producing a beeping sound, reset your dishwasher. To reset your dishwasher turn off your dishwasher for 5-10 minutes and press the start button from your dishwasher.
If this does not fix the problem in your dishwasher, check your owner manual; there, you will find more information about beeping sounds.
Why is the GE dishwasher not getting water?
If your dishwasher is not loading water, there must be a problem with the dishwasher motor or inlet valve.
If any of these parts are faulty or stopped functioning dishwasher can’t load water. While cleaning the dishwasher, make sure to clean the inlet valve of the dishwasher.
The inlet valve can build up food or mineral clogged, which can stop water from getting into the dishwasher.
Therefore, check your inlet valve for the presence of minerals of food buildup and remove it if present.
Why is the GE dishwasher not draining?
GE dishwasher has an advanced draining system that effectively pumps out water from the dishwasher after the complete cycle.
However, sometimes the dishwasher struggles to drain the water from the dishwasher.
This happens when your dishwasher drain filter or drain hose builds up food clogged.
Therefore, it is recommended to clean the dishwasher drain hose and filter timely to avoid draining issues in the dishwasher.
Why is the GE dishwasher overflooding?
The faulty float switch is the major reason behind flooding in the dishwasher.
A dishwasher is equipped with various types of switch and sensor that helps the dishwasher to function smoothly and effectively.
The float switch measures the water level inside the dishwasher and instructs the control panel to stop and load water onto the dishwasher.
If the switch is defective, there is a high chance of flooding the dishwasher.